FAQ: Waste and Recycling

What is bulk trash day?
Bulk trash collection is a special pickup for furniture and heavy appliances. No building materials, automotive parts, or tires will be collected.  Items containing freon or other refrigerants must have the refrigerant removed and tagged prior to bulk trash collection.  Electronic wastes will not be collected. Extra bags of trash will NOT be collected as bulk. Republic Services, for a fee, will come to your home for a special pickup. Call 610-869-2222 to make arrangements and to work out billing.

When is bulk trash day?
Bulk trash is picked up every Thursday. If bulk trash is scheduled on a holiday, it will be picked up the day after. If a holiday falls on a Monday, the Thursday trash pickup will also be postponed until Friday.

How should I dispose of electronic trash?
Electronic items may not be placed with regular or bulk trash.  Electronic trash will NOT be accepted at Chester County Household Hazardous and Electronics Waste disposals.  For any questions about disposal contact 610-696-5266, ext. 4305 or via email to lcovatta@westgoshen.org.

Whom should I call with a trash service related question?
All service questions should be directed to 610-696-5266, ext. 4305 or via email to lcovatta@westgoshen.org.  Urgent questions or concerns after hours or during weekends should be sent via email for the quickest response.

Is there a limit to the amount of trash I can put out?
Yes. West Goshen Township provides each resident household with one 96 gallon trash container. No additional containers of trash will be accepted. There is no limit to the amount of recyclables per household.  Residents may request a second recycling toter that is delivered to your door.  Please contact Lisa Covatta at (610) 696-5266 or lcovatta@westgoshen.org to order a second recycling toter.

What time can I expect my trash to be picked up?
Pickup begins at 6:00 AM and ends at 5:00 PM.  It is strongly recommended to place trash and recycling out by the curbside the night before pickup.

What are the official holidays for the trash company?
Christmas Day, New Years Day, Thanksgiving Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July and Labor Day.

What happens if trash pickup is scheduled on a holiday?
Your trash will be picked up on the day after a holiday if the holiday occurs on a scheduled trash pickup day. If a holiday falls on a Monday, the Thursday trash pickup will also be postponed until Friday.

When are recyclables collected?
Recyclables are collected every Monday.

What are recyclables?
Aluminum beverage cans, steel/tin cans, clear/brown/green glass and plastics #1 through #7. NO LIGHT BULBS, PLATE GLASS, MIRRORS, OR DRINKING GLASSES. Empty containers from motor oil or paint thinner ARE NOT to be included with recyclables. These should be disposed of with hazardous household wastes.

Newspapers/mixed papers which should be included in the recycling bin. Mixed paper includes: junk mail, telephone books, catalogs, white paper, and magazines. Corrugated cardboard may be cut or folded into pieces to fit inside the recycling bin. Bins that can not dumped properly because of jammed cardboard WILL NOT be collected.  Cardboard can also be disposed of at the Township Complex free of charge. Tissues, paper towels, napkins, and paper containing food must be placed in trash.

Additional information is available at the Pennsylvania Recycling Hotline: 1-800-346-4242.

Do we have to separate our recyclables?
No. You may commingle your recyclables.   The Township utilizes a “single-stream” recycling program.  NO PLASTIC BAGS PLEASE!

Can we recycle cereal boxes?
Yes. Please flatten cereal boxes.

How can I dispose of an old refrigerator or air conditioner?
Refrigerators and air conditioners may be collected as bulk trash. The door from the refrigerator must be removed.  Refrigerators and air conditioners must bear a sticker indicating freon has been drained by someone certified for freon removal and disposal.

How can I dispose of old paint?
With latex (water-based) paints, remove the lids from the paint cans, place in the sun, and stir occasionally to allow the paint to dry out. What will be left will be a thick material. Then place the open can with the lid off in the trash. You may also pour the paint into a plastic bag with absorbent material such as kitty litter. Put the plastic bag in with regular trash. Oil-based paints must be disposed of through the household hazardous waste programs.

Why doesn’t the Township vacuum my leaves up at curbside?
Solid waste disposal in West Goshen Township is handled on a contractual basis. Due to the high expense for curbside leaf vacuuming, many disposal companies do not offer this service. In order to ensure competitive bidding for solid waste disposal, leaf vacuuming is not included in the bid. Residents are encouraged to compost leaves or to place leaves in bags and/or cans on leaf collection dates.

Are we allowed to burn in West Goshen Township?
In compliance with standards set by Title 25 of the Pennsylvania Code, yard waste is no longer permitted to be burned in West Goshen.  Open burning is prohibited in West Goshen Township.

What’s the best way to dispose of food waste?
Food waste makes up over 22% of all municipal solid waste. Backyard composting is a great way to dispose of food waste.

Please see this composting link:  http://www.chestercountyswa.org/index.aspx?nid=114

How can I identify hazardous waste?
Hazardous waste materials are identified by any of the following words:


Whom would I contact to get information on the disposal of hazardous wastes?
You may call the Chester County Solid Waste Authority: 610-273-3771.  Click here for the 2019 Household Hazardous Waste Drop-Off date.

Where can I dispose of motor oil, car batteries, tires, or antifreeze?
Recycle motor oil, car batteries, tires, and antifreeze at your local service station.

How much are we billed for sewer and trash, and what are the late penalties?
The base amount for the quarterly sewer bill is $105.00 for residential properties, and the quarterly base amount for trash collection is $85.00. There is a 10% penalty if either bill is submitted late and a .75% penalty for each additional month.

How often are we billed for sewer and trash?
Sewer and trash are billed quarterly after the service period has been completed. Bills are mailed in January, April, July and October and are due on the last day of the month in which it is mailed.

Can I suspend my sewer and trash service when I am not home?
If you vacate your house for six weeks or more, you may suspend your trash service by notifying the West Goshen Billing Department at cwilkinson@westgoshen.org.  Sewer service is continuous and can not be discontinued.

Does the state of Pennsylvania mandate recycling?
Pennsylvania’s Municipal Waste Planning, Recycling and Waste Reduction Act of July 1998 mandates that all municipalities with populations of 10,000 or more must implement curbside recycling programs and separate leaf waste from all other municipal waste. West Goshen Township is in compliance with this Act. For more information about the Pennsylvania Municipal Waste Planning, Recycling, and Waste Reduction Act, visit this page.

Click here for more information about waste and recycling.